You’re alone. You’re free. There’s a mystery in a huge world that you must explore. There’s an unknown enemy to be found. Go, find your way, talk to people, unfold the secrets and rise again.” Says Michele Caletti, the founder and sole member of one-man developer Fledermaus, about his new game The Waste Land.
Digital Tribe Games join Fledermaus in celebration for today’s launch of The Waste Landon Steam and other major digital distribution channels. A passion project taking over 5 years, The Waste Land’s arrival on Steam is a milestone for veteran Game Director Michele Caletti. The Waste Land is now available for Windows PC for only £5.59 – a 20% discount off its suggested retail price of £6.99.
The Waste Land is a side-scrolling, open-world, action-adventure lovingly crafted in the same visual and gameplay styles of classic games such as Castlevania II: Simon’s Questand Metroid; games that Caletti cherished playing growing up.
An added layer of inspiration comes from T.S. Eliot’s poem of the same name, which is imbued with feelings of despair and lost innocence. The game puts players in the role of King Zyron III, a fallen king who must find his way to right the wrongs caused by his own failings. Throughout the game players explore a vast open world across seven continents and meet memorable characters while fighting off twisted creatures to survive a hostile land.
“You can explore in any direction, with no established order. The story lends itself to exploration and role play to enhance the experience and enjoy the depth of the game. You meet strange characters, visit weird landscapes, and discover upgrades and weapons. It’s a world that embraces you and I hope players will get captivated by this world: wandering, exploring, and making their own way at their own pace. The gameplay is old-style but not overly punishing. There’s plenty of room for a sense of wonder and discovery, all in classic pixelart.”
– Michele Caletti, Fledermaus
- “Metroidvania” style open world with over 15 hours of classic gameplay
- Find and collect hidden Upgrades, Secrets and Bonuses that boost stats and abilities
- Discover 10 deadly weapons, 5 swords and 5 arrow types, imbued with unique properties such as the Battle Sword, Chain Sword and Katana as well as the Fire, Bomb and Cursed Arrows
- Slay 5 giant twisted Bosses that include a mutated slug, colossal hornet and demented whale
- Encounter colorful characters in each town you discover
- Watch the ominous moon rise each night as the skies darken and light with the Day/Night cycle
- Explore vast maps across 7 continents, each with their own challenges to overcome
- Steam Support includes Cloud Save, Achievements and Trading Cards
All the classic adventure of The Waste Land is available for Windows PC today on Steam as well as other major digital distribution channels. Suggested Retail Price is £6.99 however there is a 20% discount for one week to celebrate its release. Mac and Linux versions are to be announced.
Steam Store Page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/316970